Saturday, April 23, 2011

DIY Fringed Crop Top



What's up everyone?!
I'm so horrible at updating this blog. (T __ T) But, I have come back with a video! I have always been into boat neck tops, but recently I became fond of some things I would never pick up before... crop tops & fringe! I used to think fringe was too gaudy and flapper/hippie-like, but somehow I've become open to such a thing. Then there's the ordeal of crop tops... You can be frowned upon for wearing one, but I believe as long as you're carrying a modest attitude, there's no reason for those disapproving eyes. LOL, I get such looks quite frequently, but I know who I am and what values I hold for myself. (^ o ^)~~~ So here's my video!

[*WARNING: You may want to lower/mute your audio. KPOP plays throughout the video ^^;;]


[Sorry, for the LQ of the video. My original video was 1.3Gig, but that would have taken 8 hours to upload to youtube! (O _ o) Unfortunately, I had to compress it to about 70MB for a reasonable upload time.]

Instructions:
1) Gather materials: 1 oversized tee that you would like to reform & a pair of fabric scissors. (Regular scissors will work too, but it'll be a little more difficult to cut with since the blades may have been dulled.)

2) If you would like to a how to on creating the boat neck effect, visit Tori's blog! ^^<33 Otherwise, fold your tee in half and sure the edges are neatly aligned. I already have a particular length that I like in crop tops, so I used my old kitson tee as a reference. But to give you an idea as to how much I cut off, it was about 5" and at this length it is an inch past my navel.

3) Once you reached your desired length, cut straight across the bottom of the shirt.

4) Unfold your shirt and lay it flat, this is where we will begin to make our fringes! Make your first cut at the side of the tee. Then work your way in. You will want the length of the fringe to be about 3" or more and the width of the fringe to be 1/2 an inch or less. For this first attempt I decided with 3"-high and 1/2"-wide

5) When you have completed the cutting around the shirt, pull at the fringes. Add some strength, as you will want these fringes to be skinnier rather than wide! Do this for each fringe.

6. Give the tee a little shake and you're done!


This was really fun and easy to make! Early in the video you see an already cut out top, I learned how to make this via TORI~! I suggest leaving more shoulder space though! I don't know if it's just me, but I can't keep my top up so I'll usually have a long racer back tank underneath. (v_v);;; LOL, earlier I showed the finished product to my mom and she said "That's so 80's! Are you going to do the sleeves as well?" AH, as much as I like fringe now, I think that doing the sleeves would be too much. What do you guys think? I'll be going out today and I predict that I will be buying some oversized tees to use my new DIY skills on! x)T

[If any of you have questions feel free to ask & I'll do my best to answer them!]

See you later~!

0 comments:

Post a Comment